Available Landmark Categories:

Search the HLNEO website:


Historic Landmarks of Northeast Ohio

Forest City Hospital

Hospital Information

Historical Information

Years Existed: 1957 -1978

Background Information:
"Forest City Hospital established as a 103-bed general hospital, was called Cleveland's first interracial hospital. In 1939 the Forest City Hospital Assn. was formed by a group of black physicians to raise support for a hospital free of color restrictions which would offer black doctors the opportunity to participate in the total operations of a hospital. In 1954 the association received support from the Cleveland Hospital Fund and broke ground on the site of old Glenville Hospital. Forest City Hospital opened in 1957." -- The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History